Friday, July 22, 2011

On forgiveness

‎"The practice of forgiveness is our most important 
contribution to heal the world."---Marianne Williamson


I always enjoyed Stephen Levine's language: "I forgive anything you intentionally or un-intentionally did to cause me harm; I forgive myself & ask forgiveness, for anything I intentionally or un-intentionally did to cause you harm..."; and the concept in 12-Step programs that our holding someone in blame (unforgiven) separates them from God. God has a much better plan for that person than I ever could; and in Buddhist Metta meditation: May you be Free From Suffering, May You Be At Peace (if the "perpetrator of our suffering" was free from suffering and at peace they would not be causing harm to themselves and others, would they?). ~jd

No comments: