If it's hard for you to still your mind to meditate, the senior teachers at Kripalu Center have developed a five-step approach that could help. Follow these steps and allow yourself to fall into a deep meditative state that will reveal a closer connection to the present and help calm you when you're upset.
- Breathe—Focusing on your breathing is an essential practice that draws your awareness inward and helps you experience the presence and flow of energy.
- Relax—The more you relax, the more you deepen awareness of sensation.
- Feel—Let your sense of feeling move beyond physical sensation. Acknowledge who you are as a being of energy.
- Watch—Sense who you are as a witness; be a scientist observing phenomena arising in and around you.
- Allow—Sense who you are with no preferences. Be present to the process of your life unfolding moment by moment.